Friday, January 21, 2011

This is Why I Walk

Today I met a friend and we went to the house Benjamin Franklin stayed in while he lived in London. It was really neat. I think the tour made more sense to an American, since it talked a lot about American history, but there was tons of information about his correspondence with his family and political comrades back in the States. Interestingly enough, towards the end of Benjamin Franklin's time there, the house became an Anatomy School, and when they began the restoration of the house in 1996, about 1200 bones were found under the house. So that's a bit creepy.

 After the house tour, I went to the Square in front of the National Portrait Gallery. It was a beautiful sunny day, so it was nice to soak up my daily intake of Vitamin D. 

This is a monument put up by Parliament to commemorate those who have fought in wars for England. 
         
Lovely fountain in the square.     

The reason I am so glad that I walked home from this (besides the exercise), is because I found this random fruit and vegetable stand just south of the Holborn tube station. I got 1+ pounds of cherries (it was more than shown in the picture, but ate some before the picture was taken) for £3, the avocados were £1 for four, and the asparagus for another £1. It was so tasty and so inexpensive. I loved it. 
How yummy do these look?
Recipe time. For those of you who don't like asparagus, try snapping off the ends, boiling them in water for 3-5 minutes, making sure they are still mostly firm, or stick them under the broiler for a few minutes. Then, take some mayo - preferably made with olive oil, and add some lemon juice, dill, and pepper to use for dipping. Muy Delicioso.

1 comment: